Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's Just a Tooth...

who needs it...right?!

I did it to myself (I think)! or at least that's what I told the dentist as I sat in his chair for 3 hours today! Ok, well, I placed a little blame on him, but really it's kind of my fault.

Background...
After I suffered through my 12-13 ages wearing braces (and then AGAIN my freshman year of college), I pretty much wrote off any kind of dentist. The pain. Oh, the pain. Then, the week before FSU's Rush, I had to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. OUCH (this is when I first learned that pain makes me sick). Then, when I was 24 I went to the dentist and walked away with a MIGRAINE like no other. SO...I stopped going to the dentist. Yep. Got away with it for a good 6 years.

Until, I had a child. That's when I realized I need to be a responsible adult. I needed to go for a cleaning. Ok, so I did. And you know what, it didn't hurt. In fact, they did a cool little gum massage afterward...no migraine.

Recently...

Then we moved and I had to find a new dentist. So sweet, so nice. No cavaties, no problems...

Drama...
Because I'm now a responsible adult, I should go back every 6 months for a cleaning...yeah, ok. So 7 months go by and I'm eating a goldfish (stealing my child's snack) and I bite into something...something that doesn't come from a goldfish. It was a chunk of my tooth. A LARGE chunk. Now, to find out where it came from. About a month later, I figured it out. My very. back. molar. So, gotta call the dentist.

Get there, thinking I chipped my tooth (and it's feeling like I've got a wisdom tooth hole by my back molar -- I know, I know...TMI) only to find out that oh no...it's a VERY LARGE cavity. Great. so my question...why was this not found in my 7 months ago cleaning...URRRR. Now I need a crown to the tune of $500. Does my dentist know what I can do with $500? NOT. FIX. MY. TOOTH. So, the responsible adult that I am says, "this can wait." When it hurts, I'll get it fixed.

Fast forward 6 months...
It's TENDER. It doesn't hurt. I don't think. Can't chew on it. But, wouldn't it REALLY hurt if it was bad...ok, I give in. Probably should have taken care of this 6 months ago. Ugh...so I called the dentist. Please don't let me need a Root canal. Please don't let me need a root canal. Please don't let me need a root canal. This was my quote.

So, I get to the dentist. He's not panicked. I'm not panicked. Yet.

So, they numb me (gas is an extra $75...really...does the dentist know what I could do with $75?) so, I suck it up and go for the numbing "shot." I'm a big girl. brave. I think. Not bad. When he asked if my lip felt swollen...oh yeah. can't feel my tongue. lip. tooth. nothing. good. let's do this thing!

So after a few minutes of drilling. and a few more minutes. and a few more minutes (building up the drama), he says WHOA. What kind of dentist says "Whoa!"

Great. That can't be good. Nope. Not good. At this point the dentist is stuttering...stuttering
trying to explain to me that my odds of needing a Root Canal is 90%. NINETY PERCENT. Oh, Lord have mercy. He proceeds to tell me that they are as close to my "pulp" as they can get and the fact that my tooth was not absessed and KILLING me and that I'm not bleeding profusely at that very moment was a good sign. So, I asked...what are the signs I'll need a Root Canal -- besides the ones he just mentioned? His reply: pain. great. doesn't he know I've now been in pain for 3 hours. Kind of numb to it now. So, I say how long, his reply "2 weeks, 1 month, 10 years. We just don't know." Great. In the meantime, I've got a crown (or at least a temporary crown).


And then...DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA...
The dental assisitant starts looking at all my other teeth. NOT. GOOD. She looks around and then says, you grind your teeth don't you. Uh no (I should know...my 6 year old grinds his teeth at night so much so that I can't sleep with him b/c he wakes me up). BUT, I do clench my teeth...bad! I catch myself doing it all the time. So she looks again and says...well, not only are you moving your teeth, but you've basically worn all the enamel off the top of your molars, so you have nothing protecting you from getting cavities...of which she then says...you've got all these small holes (pockets) that if not treated now, WILL turn into cavities and some already have. G.R.E.A.T! Might as well pitch a tent in the dentist office.

More DRAMA...
So, the dr. comes in, takes a look and says, well, you have a small cavity on the two teeth next to the one he just fixed. At this point I'm embarrased...jeez...what have I been doing wrong? So, he says, since you're already numb we'll go ahead and fill these. OH great. More pain. AND...you've also got one up top and another on the other side. Good Lord. What in the world. I'm laughing at this point. You've got to be kidding me. NEVER had any trouble until now. Good gracious! So he says, we'll fill those in in another couple of weeks when you come back for your permanent crown. Great. That seem's to be the only word I know.

Well...
Come to find out, everyone goes through a cavity-prone phase -- well, it's very apparent that I must be in this phase. Gotta love "phases." This phase must also be going along with my, just turned 35 phase and seem to be gaining weight like no tomorrow phase (that's a whole other subject for another day).

So...
I went to work numb as all get out totally prepared to get a migraine. No migraine, only a very sore lip (from being stretched so much -- a fish-hook that didn't let go for about 3 hours) and a scratched gum area in my mouth -- both hurting.

Now...
I have a dull ache on that side of my mouth and I'm still not eating on that side -- wish I could say I wasn't eating at all (see the note above), but not so. I scheduled my appt. for two weeks from now. Jeez...I think it's official to say that I am so over my dentist. Over. him.

I'm hoping this is the last of issues. Wishing, hoping, praying that I don't need a root canal...at least not right now and not anytime soon.

The only good thing I can say about this day is that at least I still have teeth! Blessed and thankful to have teeth;
Chasity

0 comments: