Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Scaredy Cat...

Inspired by a blog my friend Kim turned me onto, I am going to take Mama Kat's "Assignment" and write a blog about "Scaredy Cat"...

This particular "Scaredy Cat" is my 4 year old, Palmer Bailey. He loves to swim...with swimmies on. Try to take them off, he panics. Try to move him off the entry stairs of the pool, he panics. Try to get him to jump in or get his head wet, he panics.

UNTIL...last Thursday!

All Summer long, he has not gotten his head wet. We spend A LOT of time at the pool...not one day did he even try to get his head wet. So last Thursday was a HUGE step in little man's life. For whatever reason, he was in the big bathtub (somehow my jacuzzi tub has become the boys bathtub...still trying to figure out how that happened -- sorry, I digressed), when all of a sudden he decided to stick his head under the water. Over and Over and Over again. Of course, you would have thought he scored a perfect SAT score the way we were cheering for him.

So, as we were in the pools in Destin this weekend, little "scaredy cat" disappeared. He was putting his head under the water...even in the beach (which I had to warn him not to open his eyes since Salt Water burns). Then he got braver and went into the Lazy River by himself. Then he got even more brave and went into the hot tub (without swimmies). Then, before we knew it...he was SWIMMING! Yep, head and body under water swimming back and forth between my Mom and I. I KNOW...my little scaredy cat turned in a full-fledged fish!!! How ironic.

(Palmer with his head/body under water)


(On the Lazy River by himself)

Just like learning to walk. Learning to talk. Potty training. Giving up the Night Night (pacifier). It happens. In a blink of an eye, fears go away and they grow up.

TRULY BLESSED to be able to experience all these beautiful, important moments in my children's life. I can't begin to imagine missing any of it...

Chasity

PS... Just like Palmer, I learned to swim in Destin/Ft. Walton Beach when I was four.An oh, today is 9.9.09 -- how cool is that??

4 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

Congratulations to Palmer on conquering his fear & congratulations to you on being there to see it!

Moments and Impressions said...

What a milestone...

Stopping in from Mama Kats.

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

Yay for Palmer!! It is a blessing to be able to share those milestones. They grow up way way too fast.

Stephanie said...

Good job lil'man!!!